HOT COCOA OR CAROB DRINK



HOT COCOA OR CAROB DRINK

I use the carob option because cocoa and dark chocolate give me migraines. This drink tastes so similar to what I remember hot chocolate to be like, so I don’t feel deprived.  The gelatin is added for more body and for the fantastic benefits of adding gelatin to the diet.  Gelatin can also reverse some skin damage apparently.

1 cup almond milk (250 mL)
11/tsp cocoa, OR (7 mL)
  carob powder*
1 tsp unflavored gelatin (5 mL)
Liquid sweetener, to taste
1 tbsp whipping cream (15 mL)
Whipped Cream (optional)
Cinnamon sprinkle (optional)
  
In blender, combine almond milk, carob powder, OR cocoa and gelatin; blend well.  Pour into coffee cup and nuke 1 minute on high power.  Stir in whipping cream and nuke another 30 seconds.  Stir in liquid sweetener, to taste, if desired.  Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a special occasion.  Otherwise, I normally skip the whipped cream and cinnamon, but the times I have had it, it felt like I was having a rich dessert! 

Helpful Hints:  *Bob’s Red Mill® Toasted Carob powder is my favorite for this drink.  It tastes so much like cocoa. I’m not sure how they do it. There is another called Chatfield’s® but I preferred it in baking and if given a choice, I would also choose the former brand for baking as well.  For the special occasion whipped cream and cinnamon option, I use a heavy beer glass (don’t nuke it) once my hot carob drink is ready to pour into it.  One can also buy mason jars that come with a handle that would be good for this purpose.

Yield:  1 serving
1 serving – cocoa/carob
97.9/105.3 calories
4.3/3.8 g protein
8.6/8.4 g fat
1.8/1.2 g fiber
1.0/1.2 g net carbs 

SUPPORT YOUR TEAMbuy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks: low-carb.us/SALE.go


For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me: